Review on Upwork (Formerly known as Elance-oDesk)
Product Name: Upwork
Owners: Elance founded by Beerus Sheth and oDesk founded by Odysseas Tsatalos and Stratis Karamanlakis
Price: Upwork will deduct 10% fee from the rate the freelancer provide you.
One of the difficult things in internet marketing is writing good contents for your articles. I can tell you it can be frustrating when you wake up in the morning and look forward to write 3-4 articles from reviews to email marketing campaigns to blog posts. If you have a day job, you will need to do it after work and usually, you will hit a wall and there goes your articles. A mental block, you can’t even write and ideas are hard to come by when you hit a wall.
Some say you need practice to write a good content and I totally without a doubt agree with them. I don’t lie to you but if you start writing from day 1, in a few a months or a few articles later, you will find your contents to be more interesting.
Have you heard of speed writing? Well if you have heard about it and you are one of them, then you should be able to finish an article with 1000 words content in a hour or so. Speed writing is another ball game, you need a quick thinking head and handful of ideas to get your hands do the talking. Well, I am not there yet but my goals is to be one.
Since it can be difficult for you to write good contents, you may want to consider outsourcing. Well, so far, myself and Cena have thought about this idea for quite awhile. We are still doing reviews, email campaigning and other projects ourselves but with our day jobs, I think we need someone to help us as we are kind of getting stale in our content writing lately.
So how do you find a good reliable source of freelance writers to help you? Look no further, I got a solution for you and this product is Upwork.
Well, let’s get on to review this product.
What is Upwork?
Upwork is a freelancing site where you can connect to independent professionals to hire them for your business needs such as writing good quality contents for your articles or any form of marketing campaigns.
You can also interview, hire and work with freelancers on this platform which includes a real-time chat platform. This is a good platform to find freelance writers and if you find a good one, your job will be easier. Upwork collects 10 percent of the payment to the freelancer – no fee is charged to those offering jobs. Payments can be made to Upwork using credit cards, Paypal or bank transfer.
Should you opt for Upworks?
This service is free and there is no monthly payment. You will only need to find a suitable freelancer to write a good content for you. That’s all.
There are quite a few places online where you can find freelance writers. You can even post it on Facebook pages and you will get a response. So if you are new to outsourcing, you may find Upwork a good choice to source for your ideal freelance writer.
Basically, the market price for writing contents is $1 for 100 words. Usually, you may want to write your article at 500 words upwards, so it will be at a range of $5 to $10. For $10 per 1000 word article can be quite cheap but in a long run, you will need to write more articles and sometimes can cost you a bit. So do your math carefully and my rule of thumb, budget at least $100 a month for 10 articles.
If you can afford more than 10 articles per month using this concept, then you should do it. This will save you time and you can work on your other projects with little disturbance. When you hire a writer, if you find the articles he/she produce are of a better quality, then stick to them. You may built a long term relationship with the writer.
As of now, myself and Cena found our writer through Facebook ad that we posted online. She has done some articles for us and we find that she produces quality articles at a fair price. We are doing a project and currently discussing some details with her.
There are a couple of pros and cons which I am going to discuss here as follows.
- Free membership – Signing up will not cost you anything as it is free and risk free. Anyway, you will need to find a suitable freelancer for your articles. The pool of freelancers are a lot to choose from and you can meet potential freelancers who produces good write up. So if you are a freelancer yourself, you can meet potential client who needs your help. So it is a win-win for both.
- Good potential to earn income – This is a good platform if you are an aspiring writer who wants to do freelance. The network pool is large as this is a popular site. You can choose your client in this platform and be flexible with your work. So, depends on your target or goals, you can make some extra income or make a career from this platform.
- Proficiency tests for freelancers – There are some proficiency tests for freelancer in Upwork. This is to enable freelancers to get noticed and the tests you did and cleared will appear on your profile and will let potential clients take notice on you.
- 10% charge – The charges by Upwork is 10% if you get a project. Say you charge $10 per article, Upwork will deduct $1 from your $10. This is small but when you add up say $200 per month, Upwork will deduct $20 from your work. This will increase when you get more projects. A bit steep I think.
- Risk when dealing with freelancer and vice versa – Joining Upwork is risk free but there is a risk when finding a suitable freelancer or client. The problem arise when you deal with the person on the other end. Sometimes you don’t get what you want and the writer you hired wants to get paid and as a writer, your client will delay paying you when you furnish him with your write up. So there are risk involved when you deal with freelancer or your client.
Upwork is an alternative solution when you are stuck on writing contents. As I have said before, this product gives you an alternative platform to find a suitable writer for your needs.
From my point of view, you will save time in writing good quality articles and the cost of hiring a freelance writer is affordable. For me, you can only do this if you are busy or n a midst of another project. Writing articles is a must for internet marketers and you will need to do this to practice your writing skills.
If you have earn enough commissions or have deep pockets, you can find a writer who can provide you with articles to post daily. So think about it, Upwork is another platform for your problems and when you find a good writer, then you will be served well.
If you wish to know more about creating a building your online business, you can subscribe to my email list and I will provide you with the details on internet marketing.
You can also read my review on my #1 recommend product which is a training site with a wonderful community and you will be learn many interesting stuff about internet marketing. You may also want to check on how to create an interesting email marketing campaign and create good written content, you may want to read my review on Autoresponder Madness by Andre Chaperon.
Feel free to share your views and comment below. Thanks.